Amazon jungle, pristine beaches, crazy carnivals, spectacular waterfalls ... It's all Brazil! Such a mysterious and amazing, colorful and alluring, Brazil, every year attracts more and more tourists.
In this article we will talk about the amazing and interesting facts of the enchanting and diverse Latin American country - Brazil.
1. Brazil is the largest country in South America. In addition, it is the only country on the continent which inhabitants do not speak Spanish, but Portuguese.
2. The capital of Brazil is the city of Brasilia, and not Rio de Janeiro as many think (Rio de Janeiro was the capital until 1960)
3. The main part of the longest and deepest river in the world, the Amazon, flows through Brazil.
4. Brazil is one of the ten most criminal countries in the world, every 10 minutes in Brazil there is one murder.
5. Drivers in Brazil are allowed to drive a red light between 10:00 pm and 5:00 in the morning to reduce the risk of car robbery.
6. Brazil is a leader in the world in the production of coffee, however, a significant part of it goes to the preparation of instant.
7. The construction of one of the main attractions of Brazil - the 38-meter statue of Christ the Redeemer lasted for 9 years! By the way, in 2007 this monument was included in the list of "new wonders of the world."
8. 35 km from the coast of Brazil is the island of Keymada Grande, which is forbidden to visit. On a relatively small area of it, only 45 hectares, about 5,000 snake individuals live, including the most poisonous in the world.
9. Almost every major city in Brazil is surrounded by favelas - slums with a high crime rate. Surprisingly, there is a large number of agencies and private guides that offer favel tours to their clients.
10. TV shows in Brazil are as significant an event as football or carnival. Absolutely everyone is watching them. Moreover, the Brazilians themselves can change the plot of the series, if it seems to them boring or not interesting.
11. Brazil ranks second in the world in the number of airports, there are 4093 of them! (Only the United States is inferior).
12. Brazilian cars, along with gasoline, are also refueled with ethanol made from sugarcane.
13. Despite its vast area, Brazil does not have intercity trains. Cities are located at a great distance from each other, but you can only get around here by bus, car or plane.
14. One of the natural wonders of the world of Brazil - Iguazu Falls delight everyone who sees them. A complex of 275 waterfalls is located on the border of Brazilian and Argentinean national parks, included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
15. The favorite delicacy of Brazilians is a dessert made from acai berries. Acai is believed to be the richest antioxidant berry of all currently known.
16. In Brazil, the state pays for sex reassignment surgery; any Brazilian can change their gender after reaching the age of 18 and obtaining permission from a psychologist.
17. In Brazil, every citizen must always come to the polls. In case of failure to appear without a good reason, the Brazilian may not be allowed to go abroad until the next election, as well as deprive of all state benefits.
18. Brazil is the only country in South America to take part in World War II.
19. In prisons in Brazil there is a program to popularize reading among prisoners. For each book read, the prisoner is shortened by 4 days.
20. Brazil has a leading position in the world in the extraction of iron ore, gold, asbestos and tin.
Image by Jose Guertzenstein from Pixabay